Porter Maintains U.S. Melges 24 Nationals Lead, Suddath Takes Over Corinthians
November 12, 2022 - Pensacola, FL, USA - Day Two of the 2022 U.S. Melges 24 National Championship hosted by the Pensacola Yacht Club served up a wide range of conditions that lead to a slight shuffle of players in the overalls, as well as the Corinthian division.
Everyone anticipated the change due to a cold front forecasted to move across Pensacola Bay on Saturday afternoon. This front provided the fleet with a pleasant 7-9 knots of breeze during the late morning, then continued to shift right all afternoon. The result: much cooler temperatures and a brisk 18-20 knots rounded out the completed four-race schedule.
Defending Melges 24 U.S. National Champion Brian Porter at the helm of Full Throttle is maintaining his lead. "I just love sailing with my boys. It is so much fun to sail with my boys," says Porter in the afternoon. RJ Porter, Bri Porter and Matt Woodworth are the Full Throttle team.
Moving up from fourth to second overall, Drew Freides' Pacific Yankee worked hard in the shifty conditions to deliver an 11-2-2-2 result. Bruce Ayres' Monsoon fell a notch to third. These two top competitors head into the final day of competition tied with 29 points each.
Taylor Canfield at the helm of Laura Grondin's Dark Energy moved up from sixth overall to fourth. Victor Diaz de Leon racing 2022 World Champion Peter Duncan's Raza Mixta moved up as well from ninth overnight to fifth.
Leadership of the Corinthian division now resides with long-time Class stalwart Steve Suddath on 3 1/2 Men. Racing with some of his most steady all-amateur crew — Shawn and Steve Burke, and tactician Dave Chapin, they went from fourth overall into first, leaving Megan Ratliff's Decorum in second and Dan Berezin's Surprise in third.
Sunday, November 13th is the final day of racing in Pensacola. Chilly temperatures are forecasted and the breeze will be on.
The 2022 U.S. Melges 24 National Championship is designated as the final event on the National Ranking Series schedule of events. Once racing is complete on Sunday, the Class will crown the next National Ranking Champion.
Top Ten Results (Overall, Preliminary After 8 Races)
- Brian Porter, Full Throttle - 1-2-4-4-5--4-4 = 24
- Drew Freides, Pacific Yankee - [16/SCP]-1-10-1-11-2-2-2 = 29
- Bruce Ayres, Monsoon - 3-8-1-3-6-3-5- = 29
- Taylor Canfield, Dark Energy B Team - -7-7-5-1-6-1-5 = 32
- Victor Diaz de Leon, Raza Mixta - 8-6--6-7-8-3-6 = 44
- Harry Melges IV, Zenda Express - 2-4-8-2-13-35/UFD-7-10 = 46
- Richard Reid, Zingara - 12-12-5-[35/RET]-2-1-12 7 = 51
- Peter Karrie, Nefeli - 4-[21/SCP]-6-13-4-11-13-1 = 52
- Chris Rast, Warcanoe B Team - -5-9-8-9-7-6-8 = 52
- Peter McClennen, Gamecock - 10-3-3-11-8-13-8- = 56
Top Ten Corinthian Results (Preliminary, After 8 Races)
- Steve Suddath, 3 1/2 Men - 99 pts.
- Megan Ratliff, Decorum - 102 pts.
- Dan Berezin, Surprise - 113 pts.
- KC Shannon, Shaka - 136 pts.
- Scot Zimmerman, Bad Idea - 136 pts.
- Fred Rozelle, Rustler - 136 pts.
- John Alden Meade, Dansoux - 138 pts.
- Tom Ritter, Tramp - 142 pts.
- Scott Sonnier, Revolution - 153 pts.
- Brent McKenzie, Ex-Kahn - 173 pts.