Melges 24 European Sailing Series 2022 - Peler and Ora supporting the escape of Strambapapà and the bullets for Panjic
July 23, 2022 - Riva del Garda, Italy - Thanks to the exchange of favours between Peler and Ora, also punctual today in taking over from the northern parts of Garda, the fourth event of the Melges 24 European Sailing Series runs towards the finish with a full schedule: in fact, after two days of racing the score line counts in seven races and is taking care also of the discard.
The day, well managed on the water by the Race Committee and by the Fraglia Vela Riva’s team, was great for Michele Paoletti’s Strambapapà (ITA; 4-1-5), skilled in lengthening the step compared to the opponents and to enter the final day with some huge margin over the second; and for Luka Sangulin’s Panjic (CRO; 1-UFD-1), that, after a not so brilliant Friday, achieved to the point to be the protagonist of the day with two bullets, by climbing several places until he makes it to the seventh position in overall ranking.
Returning to the top of the overall ranking, we need to underline, that Strambapapà is trailed at the double-digit margin by Richard Thompson’s Black Seal (GBR; 5-3-3), that helmed by Stefano Cherin, is closely pursued by Peter Karrie’s Nefeli (GER; 11-UFD-4).
Today was useful to the leaders of the standings to put points among the claims and the third step of the podium: Andrea Racchelli’s Altea (ITA; 9-UFD-2), reigning European Champion of the International Melges 24 Class Association, is now eight points far away from Nefeli, while Marcello Caldonazzo Arvedi’s Gilles (ITA; 2-2-UFD) is in the wake of Racchelli’s crew.
It is clear that the complicated weather conditions of the Garda Lake, characterized by more unstable breezes than usual, and accompanied by a nervous wave motion, have made a tough selection: the top performer of the Corinthian, Christopher Renker’s Cytrus (SUI; 3-7-6), had an amazing day and is now tenth in the ranking by just three points in front of Michael Tarabochia’s White Room (GER; 14-5-UFD), paired with Miles Quinton’s Gill Race Team (GBR; 8-6-12).
The fourth event of the Melges 24 European Sailing Series and Act 3 of the Italian Melges 24 Tour will end on Sunday with holding of the last two races: the warning signal is set for 8.30, hoping for some strong Peler coming in.
Day 2 Overall Top twelve including Corinthian Top 3 (after 7 races)
- STRAMBAPAPA ITA689 Michele Paoletti – 1-1-2-3-4-1-(5) – 12 pts
- BLACK SEAL GBR694 Richard Thompson with Stefano Cherin helming – 5-7-6-1-5-3-3 – 23 pts
- NEFELI GER673 Peter Karrié – 2-4-3-2-11-(28UFD)-4 – 26 pts
- ALTEA ITA722 Andrea Racchelli – 3-8-4-8-9-(28UFD)-2 – 34 pts
- GILLES ITA793 Marcello Caldonazzo Arvedi with Pietro D’Ali´ helming – 14-3-8-9-2-2-(28UFD) – 38 pts
- MELGINA ITA693 Paolo Brescia – 9-9-1-6-(12)-8-7 – 40 pts
- PANJIC CRO739 Luka Šangulin – 6-5-13-17-1-(28UFD)-1 – 43 pts
- TAKI 4 ITA778 Marco Zammarchi with Carlo Fracassoli helming – (28UFD)-2-7-5-10-13-8 – 45 pts
- WARCANOE USA841 Michael Goldfarb – 7-6-10-13-7-4-(16) – 47 pts
- CYTRUS SUI731 Christopher Renker (Corinthian) – 12-12-15-(19)-3-7-6 – 55 pts
- WHITE ROOM GER677 Michael Tarabochia (Corinthian) – 4-11-12-12-14-5-(28) – 58 pts
- GILL RACE TEAM GBR694 Miles Quinton with Geoff Carveth helming (Corinthian) – (15)-14-11-7-8-6-12 – 58 pts