Tied at the top, Melges 24 rally in Miami to close out Bacardi Winter Series event no 2
January 26, 2021 - Miami, FL, USA - The second event of the 2021 Bacardi Winter Series took place on January 22-24 with eleven Melges 24 teams craving a whole lot of competition and some warm Miami sunshine. Three days of racing was originally scheduled. Friday and Saturday produced seven races, with the wind being a no-show on Sunday. But, the general consensus was, everyone was thrilled to be back sailing and with great offerings of appreciation for the Bacardi Regatta organizers for working really hard to make it all possible, most especially safe to sail.
At the top of the results is Bora Gulari’s New England Ropes Melges 24 with crew members Kyle Nevin, Norman Berge, Ian Liberty and Michael Menninger. A successful series of top three finishes after a 7th place throw out in Race Six gave him a solid one point win over International Melges 24 Class Chairwoman Laura Grondin helming Dark Energy. By her side was famed tactician Taylor Canfield and crew members Scott Ewing, Rich Peale and Serena Vilage.
“It was exciting to be racing again in Miami in the Melges 24,” said Grondin. “The Race Committee and Event Organizers have done a fabulous job in terms of preparation, and adherence to COVID-19 guidelines. Everyone really feels safe here.”
“Having Taylor on board as our tactician is the biggest change to our team this year, and what can I say… he is amazing.,” Grondin continued. “We have learned a lot. He is all about good boat handling, maneuvers, takes the time to explain what it is he needs us to do, so when he gives direction we know exactly what to do. We are not always perfect, but the more consistent we can be, the better our results will be. It is just fantastic to be able to compete at this level of the sport.”
Fighting the good fight — finishing third overall was Peter Duncan’s Raza Mixta, KC Shannon’s Shaka was fourth, and John Brown’s Blind Squirrel rounded out the top five.
On the Corinthian front, Tony Stanley’s Hermes with Tony Callamare, Mike Kirschner, Tiffany Shaefer and Chapin Smith bested Donald Holst’s Guten Tag with crew members Ned Zeman, Judi Zeman, Richard Beers and Chuck Thiesenhusen.
TWO DOWN, ONE TO GO
Only one last event remains on the Winter Series circuit — the Bacardi Invitational taking place on March 10-13, 2021.
With two events complete, Gulari and Grondin are tied in first and second with equal points. Third and fourth place holders respectively, Brown and Boho also find themselves headed into the March event with much to prove as they too share equal points. Duncan is currently seated in fifth, only one slim point ahead of Shannon.
Despite not racing in Event No. 2, U.S. Melges 24 Class President Megan Ratliff’s Decorum maintains her overall Corinthian lead on the Winter Series Ranking, just ahead of Stanley and Holst.
- New England Ropes, USA820, Bora Gulari / Kyle Navin / Norman Berge / Ian Liberty / Michael Menninger - 2 - 3 - 1 - 1 - 2 -  - 2 ; 11
- Dark Energy, USA864, Laura Grondin / Taylor Canfield / Scott Ewing / Rich Peale / Serena Vilage - 1 - 2 -  - 2 - 1 - 3 - 3 ; 12
- Raza Mixta, USA829, Peter Duncan / Carlos Robles / Victor Diaz de Leon / Matteo Ramian / Willem Van Waay - 3 - 1 -  - 3 - 5 - 2 - 1 ; 15
- Shaka, USA863, KC Shannon / Elizabeth Whitener / Ben Lynch / Tommy Sawchuk - 6 - 5 - 3 - 5 - 6 - 1 -  ; 26
- Blind Squirrel, USA856, John Brown / Jeff Bonanni / Mike Buckley / Charlie Smythe / George Peet - 4 - 4 - 4 - 6 -  - 8 - 4 ; 30
- Gamecock, USA811, Peter McClennen / Scott Nixon / Thomas Loughbourough / Jon Von schwarz - 8 - 7 - 2 - 4 - 7 - 5 -  ; 33
- Flying Jenny, USA 801, Sandra Askew / Jason Currie / Dave Shriner / Kyle Kandt / Cody Schlub -  - 6 - 5 - 10 - 3 - 6 - 6 ; 36
- The 300, USA839, Steve Boho / Catherine Boho / Ben Keller / Ted Keller / Justin Hood - 7 - 10 -  - 9 - 4 - 4 - 5 ; 39scott
- Bad Idea, USA717, Scot Zimmerman / Dave Gerber / Katy Zimmerman / Andy Girrell - 5 - 8 - 6 - 8 -  - 9 - 8 ; 44
- HERMES (c), USA610, Tony Stanley / Tony Callamare / Mike Kirschner / Tiffany Schaefer / Chapin Smith -  - 9 - 10 - 7 - 11 - 11 - 10 ; 58
- Guten Tag, USA736, Donald Holst / Ned Zeman / Judi Zeman / Richard Beers / Chuck Thiesenhusen - 9 -  - 9 - 11 - 10 - 10 - 11 ; 60
REGISTER BEFORE FEBRUARY 7 FOR BACARDI - ENTRY CUT-OFF AT 25
Twenty-teams are signed-up and ready to race the Bacardi Invitational Regatta, the final stage of the Winter Series. Due to Covid-19, Event Organizers are forced to introduce an entry limit of 25 boats in the Melges 24 fleet, so please get your entry in early. Eligible boats may enter by completing the required form at www.yachtscoring.com and paying the required fees by 7 February 2021. Entry is not finalized until the fees are received by the Organizing Authority. Click Here to Learn More.