Melges 24 European Sailing Series 2022 Event 4 - Riva event belongs to Michele Paoletti’s crew on Strambapapà
July 24, 2022 - Riva del Garda, Italy - The fourth event of the 2022 Melges 24 European Sailing Series, and Act 3 of the Italian Melges 24 Tour 2022, organized by the Fraglia Vela Riva, finished with a great day of Peler: the last two races, held under some strong northerly breeze, were by far the best of the series and put big smiles on the sailors’ faces.
By winning both today races, Andrea Racchelli’s Altea (ITA; 1-1) was able to jump on the third spot of the podium, six points behind from Richard Thompson’s Black Seal (GBR; 4-3) helmed by an enthusiastic Stefano Cherin, being second on the podium and grateful to the owner: “It has been a great event and it was great to grab the second place in the overall ranking. I can’t be more thankful to Richard for this new opportunity: I was helming the boat the past year in Trieste and to be again in the driver position has been great!” said Stefano happily.
ꜱᴛᴇꜰᴀɴᴏ ᴄʜᴇʀɪɴ - ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴇʟᴍꜱᴍᴀɴ ᴏꜰ ʀɪᴄʜᴀʀᴅ ᴛʜᴏᴍᴘꜱᴏɴ'ꜱ ʙʟᴀᴄᴋ ꜱᴇᴀʟ ɢʙʀ822
The overall victory belongs to Michele Paoletti’s Strambapapa (ITA; 12-5), again on the top of the podium after the success grabbed in Rovinj, at the seasonal opening of the series. Sailing with his wife Giovanna Micol, former Italian Olympian Paoletti had an easy time taking command of operations on the water and defending the leading position since the end of day one.
The final day was also good for Paolo Brescia’s Melgina (ITA; 5-2), that climbed the ranking up to the fourth position, right into front of Peter Karrie’s Nefeli (GER; 8-14), rounding up the top five.
The super Sunday brought joy also for Arkanoè by Montura (ITA; 3-6): the Sergio Caramel’s crew had its best day and went on the top of the Corinthian division with just two-point margin over Christopher Ranker’s Cytrus (SUI; 10-7), who was for the first time on the Corinthian podium; and Miles Quinton’s Gill Race Team (GBR; 17-8), helmed by Geoff Carveth.
Having said goodbye to Riva del Garda, the International Melges 24 Class Association is preparing to gather again in Imperia where, between 23 and 25 September, will take place the last event - Melges 24 Italian National Championship - before the Melges 24 European Championship organized in Genova by the Yacht Club Italiano.
Final Top Twelve including Corinthian Top Three (after 9 races)
- STRAMBAPAPA ITA689 Michele Paoletti – 1-1-2-3-4-1-5-(12)-5 – 22 pts
- BLACK SEAL GBR694 of Richard Thompson with Stefano Cherin helming – 5-(7)-6-1-5-3-3-4-3 – 30 pts
- ALTEA ITA722 Andrea Racchelli – 3-8-4-8-9-(28UFD)-2-1-1 – 36 pts
- MELGINA ITA693 Paolo Brescia – 9-9-1-6-(12)-8-7-5-2 – 47 pts
- NEFELI GER673 Peter Karrié – 2-4-3-2-11-(28UFD)-4-8-14 – 48 pts
- WARCANOE USA841 Michael Goldfarb – 7-6-10-13-7-4-(16)-2-4 – 53 pts
- TAKI 4 ITA778 Marco Zammarchi with Carlo Fracassoli helming – (28UFD)-2-7-5-10-13-8-7-9 – 61 pts
- GILLES ITA793 Marcello Caldonazzo Arvedi with Pietro D’Ali´ helming – 14-3-8-9-2-2-(28UFD)-16-12 – 66 pts
- ARKANOE BY MONTURA ITA809 Sergio Caramel (Corinthian) – 16-13-9-4-(23)-9-10-3-6 70 pts
- CYTRUS SUI731 Christopher Renker (Corinthian) – 12-12-15-(19)-3-7-6-10-7 – 72 pts
- PANJIC CRO739 Luka Šangulin – 6-5-13-17-1-(28UFD)-1-9-28DNC – 80 pts
- GILL RACE TEAM GBR694 Miles Quinton with Geoff Carveth helming (Corinthian) – 15-14-11-7-8-6-12-(17)-8 – 81 pts