Italians on Bombarda Claimed the Win of the Bacardi Cup Invitational Regatta 2019
March 9, 2019 - Miami, FL, USA - Miami and Biscayne Bay today showcased the best day of racing as this iconic racing venue said good-bye to the 500 sailors who competed at the Bacardi Cup Invitational Regatta 2019. A great Easterly breeze of around 10 knots, sun shining warm and wave chop a lot less than the previous days made for a perfect race day. All of the classes finished their scheduled races at this the best spring sailing yacht racing event in the North Hemisphere.
Bombarda ITA860 of Andrea Pozzi - photo Zerogradinord
A big fight in the Melges 24, where, despite domination from a 19 boat American team line-up, it was the Italians on Italian Bombarda ITA860 who claimed the win. Their super crew was all home-made in Italy: Andrea Pozzi, Carlo Zermini, Matteo Ivaldi, Nicholas Dal Ferro and Stefano Ciampalini.
Brian Porter’s Full Throttle USA849 - photo Zerogradinord
Brian Porter’s Full Throttle USA849 with Olympic tactician Jonathan McKee finished in second and Bruce Ayres’ Monsoon USA851 in third, with just 1 point between each of the top three teams.
Bruce Ayres’ Monsoon USA851 - photo Zerogradinord
"We loved the conditions here," said Andrea Pozzi of Bombarda. "It's the ones we love and perform better with. The crew has been working together for a long time, even though we are coming back together after a year's break. Miami is a fantastic spot, we love it and we loved the event. It combined the sport of sailing to the fun in the after sail, we want to thank Bacardi for this!"
Norwegian team of Jan Fredrik Dyvi - photo Zerogradinord
The best Corinthian team finished the regatta on the 8th position - Norwegian Jan Frederik Dyvi with Peder Jahre, Sivert Denneche, Stian Ness Rorvik and Malin Ness Rørvik-Sundelin in team.
Melges 24 (25 Boats)
1. Bombarda, ITA860, Andrea Pozzi / Carlo Zermini / Matteo Ivaldi / Nicholas Dal Ferro / Stefano Ciampalini - 4 -3 -2 -1 -4 -5 -2 - ; 21
2. Full Throttle, USA849, Brian Porter / RJ Porter / Jonathan Mckee / Mat Woodwoouth - 1 -1 -1 -7 -2 - -8 -2 ; 22
3. Monsoon, USA851, Bruce Ayres / Mike Buckley / George H. Peet / Jeff Reynolds / Chelsea Simms - 2 -2 - -2 -8 -1 -1 -7 ; 23
4. Lucky Dog / Gill Race Team, USA858, Travis Weisleder / John Bowden / Evea Aras / Jeremy Wilmot / Caroline Main - 3 - -4 -3 -1 -3 -6 -5 ; 25
5. MiKEY, USA835, Kevin Welch / Jeff Madrigali / Serena Rhinelander Vilage / Mark Ivey / Ian Sloan - 5 -4 -5 -6 -5 - -4 -1 ; 30
Full results | Photos by Zerogradinord | Event website