Interesting Facts About the CSR MELGES24 US National Championships
CSR MELGES24 US National Championships 2015 were held in Columbia Gorge Racing Association, (CGRA) out of Cascade Locks, Oregon on August 7-9.
There are lots of amazing and interesting facts about this wonderful Melges 24 event.
- Big wind-racing in 35 knots (no problem)
- Great race courses - 1.5 mile legs with unique shorter beats than runs (upwind=down river)
- Warm, barefoot & t-shirt sailing
- Gorgeous scenery - Snow-capped volcanoes, rainforests, 600-foot waterfalls, desert
- Young helmsman (17) / Old helmsman (74)
- Youngest trimmer (16) / Oldest trimmer (57)
- Family boats
- Women owned/driven boats
- Old boats very competitive and on podium
- Strong Canadian representative
- Speed record (25.8 knots over the bottom against a 1.5 knot river current)
- Top Corinthian team 6th overall (3 men 2 women) from light-air Seattle
- Long distance travelers - George Haynie and his wife drove from Tampa 3020 miles (4920 kilometers)
- 6 boats East of Mississippi; 12 from California/Texas...
- Speed Camp - big hit for new and seasoned owners
- BBQ/Music casual
Read for more HERE