Full Throttle Takes the Lead at the Bacardi Cup Invitational Regatta on Day One
March 7, 2019 - Miami, USA - It was one amazing sailing day in Biscayne Bay, with typical Miami winter conditions of strong breeze, sunshine and small chop. However it was the day 4 of the regatta, it was the first racing day for Melges 24 fleet.
Full Throttle USA849 of Brian Porter - photo Zerogradinord
Getting to work straight away in the twenty-five boat Melges 24 fleet was the team on Brian Porter's Full Throttle (USA849), with Olympic champion Jonathan McKee calling tactics. They made their intentions evidently clear by winning every race, leaving Italy's Bombarda (ITA860) of Andrea Pozzi six points behind in second spot and Kevin Welch's MiKEY (USA835) in third.
Bombarda ITA860 by Andrea Pozzi - photo Zerogradinord
"It was a really good day for us today," commented Andrea Pozzi of Bombarda. "We scored a fourth, a third and a second, but most of all it was important for the journey that we started today: the overall season. We began in January with the Winter Series, it was our first regatta back together as a team and the goal is to arrive at the Worlds in Villasimius as good as we can."
Norwegian team of Jan Fredrik Dyvi - photo Zerogradinord
The best Corinthian team is currently on the 7th position Norwegian team of Jan Fredrik Dyvi with the past Corinthian world champions of team Storm Capital Sail Racing onboard.
Top 5 after 3 races (25 entries)
1. USA849 Full Throttle - Brian Porter / RJ porter / Jonathan Mckee / Mat Woodwoouth
2. ITA860 Bombarda - Andrea Pozzi / Carlo Zermini / Matteo Ivaldi / Nicholas Dal Ferro / Stefano Ciampalini
3. USA835 MiKEY - Kevin Welch / Jeff Madrigali / Serena Vilage / Mark Ivy / Ian Sloan
4. USA851 Monsoon - Bruce Ayres / Mike Buckley / George Peet / Jeff Reynolds / Chelsea Simms
5. USA858 Lucky Dog / Gill Race Team - Travis Weisleder / John Bowden / Evea Aras / Jeremy Wilmot / Caroline