Bacardi Cup and Bacardi Invitational Regatta Attract Record Line-Up
March, 4, 2023 - Miami, FL, USA - The 96th Bacardi Cup and Bacardi Invitational Regatta (BCIR), will take place March 5-11, 2023 and will welcome some 180 teams across six classes, making it a record line-up of boats and sailors.
For the Star Class, the regatta kicks off on March 5, while the J/70, Melges 24, VX One, Melges 15 and 69F opening their three-day series on Thursday, March 9.
There is nowhere quite like Miami to deliver glamour sailing and plenty of socials, with Bacardi hosting daily après-sail happy hours, entertainment and music.
As always it is a pleasure and an honor for Bacardi to host sailors from around the world for our regatta,” said Eddie Cutillas, Bacardi USA. “We are thrilled to welcome over six hundred sailors from twenty-six countries to enjoy the racing, the Bacardi hospitality and the South Florida lifestyle.
“Even world-class regattas can’t just be about sailing. What makes the Bacardi Cup are the people - the sailors, the race committee, the volunteers - the Bacardi flair, the warm weather, crystal clear water, live music, party tempo – and being part of something so exceptional. All sailors dream of crossing the finishing line as champions in Miami. I hope all teams exceed their expectations this year,” concluded Cutillas.
Racing unfolds on Biscayne Bay supported on the water by Coral Reef Yacht Club, Shake a Leg Miami, Biscayne Bay Yacht Club, Coconut Grove Sailing Club and the US Sailing Center, who also provide shoreside facilities.
The regatta culminates with the Awards Ceremony on Saturday, March 11, with podium trophies, class prizes and special presentations. The EFG Rising Star Award celebrates up and coming young sailing talent, and the Quantum Sails Mover and Shaker Award honors an individual who goes beyond to support participation.
Bacardi Invitational Regatta
Up to nine races across three race days are scheduled for the Melges 24 Class. This will be the finale event of the 2022-2023 Bacardi Winter Series (BWS). Who will nurture the winning formula to take home the 2023 titles is too close to predict.
The Melges 24 fleet eyed each other up at BWS 1 and 2, where there was no doubting the mastery of Drew Freides’ team on ‘Pacific Yankee’, who won both events. They will be on mission to make it to the top of the BCIR podium, up from third in 2022. There are plenty of contenders in the twenty-five-boat fleet, which counts nine the top ten from the 2022 Melges 24 Worlds, including Champion Peter Duncan on 'Raza Mixta' and Harry Melges IV on 'Zenda Express' who claimed silver. Freides and Melges jostled for the top spot at BWS1, whilst Andrea Pozzi on ‘Bombarda’ was the closest challenger to Freides at BWS2.
Melges 24 (One Design - 25 Boats)
1. 3 & 1/2 Men, Melges 24, Steve Suddath / Steve Burke / Shawn Burke / Dave Chapin , Jacksonville, FL, USA
2. Altea Hermes, Melges 24, Andrea Racchelli / Enzo Bonini / Andrea Serpi / Tony Stanley / Marten Kendrick , Verbania, VB, ITA
3. Black Seal, Melges 24, Richard Thompson , Castel Guernsey, Guernsey, GBR
4. Bombarda, melges 24, Andrea Pozzi / andrea pozzi / matteo ivaldi / stefano ciampalini / carlo zermini , pieve ligure, genoa, ita
5. Dark Energy, Melges 24, Laura Grondin / Tailor Canfield / Mike Buckley / Ian Liberty / Rich Peale , West Hartford, CT, USA
6. Darkhorse, Melges 24, Cuyler Morris / Will Welles / Stuart MacNeil / Connor Ratcliff , Aspen, CO, USA
7. Decorum, Melges 24, Megan Ratliff / Hunter Ratliff / Steve Liebel / Miro Kaffka / Nicholas Diephouse , Chicago, IL, USA
8. Entente, Melges 24, Chuck Lamphere / William Huerth / Taylor Just / John Porter , Lake Forest, IL, USA
9. ExpressLane, Melges 24, Frank A. Davenport / Kevin Alcock / Andrew Wilson / Jill Mecklenberg / Teresa Westin , Williams Bay, WI, USA
10. Full Throttle, Melges 24, Brian Porter , Fontana, WI, USA
11. Gamecock, Melges 24, Peter McClennen / Anthony Katon / Mike Marshall / Allie Grey / Wilson Stout , Newport, RI, USA
12. Huzzah, Melges 24, Greg Chamberlain , Sarnia, Ont, CAN
13. Monsoon, Melges 24, Bruce Ayres / Thomas Dietrich / Edward Hackney / Chelsea Simms / Jeremy Wilmot , Newport Beach, CA, USA
14. Nefeli, Melges 24, Peter Karrié / Alessandro Franci / Niccolò Bianchi / Alessandro Saettone / Saverio Cigliano , Mainz, GER
15. Pacific Yankee, Melges 24, Drew Freides / Nic Asher / Charlie Smythe / Alec Anderson / Mark Ivey , Los Angeles, CA, USA
16. Raza Mixta, Melges 24, Peter Duncan / Chris Larson / Patrick Wilson / Morgan Trubovich / Erik Shampain , Rye, NY, USA
17. Rebel, Melges 24, John Spierling / Jason VanHoorn / Scott Sorbie / Rob Bunn , Shelby Twp, MI, USA
18. Sentinel, Melges 24, Geoff Fargo , Santa Barbara, CA, USA
19. Stig, Melges 24, Alessandro Rombelli / Stefano Cherin / Giorgio Tortarolo / Manuel Modena / Federica´ Salva , Milano, ITA
20. Team RRH, Melges 24, Jan Frederik Dyvi / Jan Borø / Herman Horn-Johannessen / Stian Ness Rørvik / Malin Rørvik-Sundelin , Oslo, NOR
21. Tramp, Melges 24, Thomas Ritter / Drew Follet / Matt Koch / Otto Wenzler / Peter Wenzler , Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA
22. Triple D's, Melges 24, Dwight LeBlanc , Metairie, LA, USA
23. War Canoe, Melges 24, Michael Goldfarb / Jonny Goldsberry / Chris Rast / Matteo Ramian , Seattle, WA, USA
24. Zenda Express, Melges 24, Harry Melges IV / Kyle Navin / Eddie Cox / Finn Rowe / Ripley Shelley , Fontana, WI, USA
25. Zingara, Melges 24, Richard Reid , Port Credit, Ont, CAN